Sunday, July 12, 2009

A little about me and my jewelry...

Hi and welcome to my blog about my adventures in beading and running my little bead shop, Brownstone Beads.

To start off, here's a little about me and how I came to start beading:
I'm a recently graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY with a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering. I love RPI and my field so much, I decided to stay another 4 years here and get my PhD. In having recently graduated and having all of my roommates move away to jobs etc, I had the task of finding a new apartment to live in. After much searching, I eventually found a lovely little place in downtown Troy, but alas, the current occupants were still living there, and the place was to be redone after they had moved out. Now having being kicked out of my old apartment on the first of June, my boyfriend and I were stuck living in a basement room, with a small adjoining kitchen (no stove, though), and a bathroom that was up a flight of stairs through this lovely woman's art shop. In addition to the lack of privacy, we had no internet or cable TV, making the situation especially dire (especially two graduates of RPI, where most students are attached at the hip to thier laptops). Needless to say, I was very bored. My boyfriend suggested to me that I take up a hobby, since I am a very crafty individual on the inside, hidden somewhere in there among the science and math. As I had dabbled in jewelry making when I was younger, I decided to take up beading, and began making necklaces on my bed in a basement room in a brownstone on 4th Street.

Eventually, when we had finally (after 2 weeks in a basement) moved into another apartment (the one we were supposed to have still wasn't done) in a lovely brownstone on 2nd Street in downtown Troy, that I realized that I would eventually have made too much jewelry for myself to wear alone. I was very proud of the pieces I had designed and made thus far, and I had the desire to share them with others (and also attempt to make a bit extra money to supplement my meager graduate student's stipend). So, Brownstone Beads was born. All of my creations are for sale on Etsy, and they feature natural stone beads, semi-precious stones and unique and interesting pendants. Come over and take a look at www.brownstonebeads.etsy.com!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to meet you. :) I live in Greene County and I believe you may have found me through Facebook. Interesting your studies I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and it is very painful. So you have my support to keep up the research. Thank you for all that you are doing. Diana / lunaessence
    http://lunaessence.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete